Hitting a baseball isn’t easy. It requires a lot of skills, working together in tandem: Watching the ball, knowing which balls to swing for, and reacting at just the right moment with just the right form.
Youth baseball coaches have their work cut out for them when trying to impart these important skills, but luckily, there are some tried-and-true drills that can help you get results.
Drills for Baseball Coaches
Here are a few drills for any youth baseball coach to have in their playbook.
- Basic batting practice. There’s always room for the fundamentals: Have a coach, volunteer, or another player pitch ball after ball, allowing batters to get some repetition. This can be one of the best ways to build confidence. And when players start hitting some balls, they’ll start having fun, too.
- Tee practice. Hitting off a tee can be invaluable for players of any age. It helps novices feel what it’s like to make contact with a ball, and it helps even the more experienced players to flatten their swing. Additionally, coaches can use tee practice as a chance to really step back and evaluate their players’ forms.
- Spot hitting. Place an item, like a glove or a cup, out on the field. Start pitching, and direct players to hit the ball before it passes that fixed object in their field of vision. This is a great way to coax players into getting in front of pitches, really getting out in front of the plate.
- Double pitching. Pitch two balls, one right after another, perhaps one a little higher or lower than the other. Call out for the hitter to connect with either the first or second pitch. This can be a great way to build focus and control.
- Boxing. Get a boxing or punching bag and direct your hitter to connect with it. The goal here is to teach them follow-through. They should swing at the bag, connect, and stay connected, rather than recoil or back away. This is actually a very powerful exercise for perfecting power and form.
For coaches, you can never have too many hitting drills to draw from. We hope these five prove to be game changers for you and your players!
gearUP is a leading provider of custom youth sports uniforms, including baseball uniforms. We are pleased to work with youth baseball leagues from across the country, providing high-quality uniforms delivered on-time for game time.